Monday, August 17, 2009

Church-Going in Rochester

I worshiped at the single Anglican church in Rochester yesterday. It's located downtown, on Chestnut Street, not far from the bus center; but that doesn't mean it isn't out-of-the-way. It is. I found the edifice in which it was located without too much trouble; the street-view option of Google-maps had helped me the day before. However, the first church I entered in the building--in which a worship service was just beginning--turned out to be an Evangelical Lutheran church. (According to one man with whom I spoke, it is the last one in all of western New York which still offers services in German, though most of the congregants at these services are students who are studying the language.)

I finally found the congregation that I was looking for; it was a small group of about ten people; I was the only young man present. The sermon was on understanding the will of God (mostly preaching out of the book of Thessalonians); it was worth it, though the service itself was a bit high-churchy for my taste. Will I attend the same church next week? Probably. But I don't know if I will keep going to the church after that; I was actually thinking of visiting the Lutheran church that meets up above (even though I have no intention of becoming a Lutheran.)

On a similar front, the monks at the Abbey at Genessee asked me if I had any inclination to become a Trappist myself. I told them that even if I were a Catholic (which I am not) I could never take on the vows of celibacy. Genessee makes a pleasant retreat, though, and, if one did want to spend his entire life attached to a single location, there are worse locations to attach oneself to.

No comments: