Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happiness, Satisfaction, Activity and Dissatisfaction

Happiness is a constant; satisfaction is relative. Happiness is a state of being; satisfaction a state of doing. Happiness derives from realization of a criterion of correctness in the relationship between oneself, God and the universe; satisfaction emanates from the exercise of one's total potential or will.

This is a conclusion which I came to today, while trying to find ways to occupy my time in between the moments of bureaucratic business. During the in between time, I cook, read Nabokov, read Scruton, read the Old Testament (and the New Testament, when I come to that) and walk about the campus. (The city of Rochester is really nothing worth walking around from what I have seen of it.)

Anyway, the main point I'm getting at is that, while certain people can never be truly happy (this is not something that they have to work for, in the straightest sense of the word) everyone has to run swiftly to keep apace of dissatisfaction.

No comments: