Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Loser of the Year

I realize that I've been off recently. I was in California. Back to the old politics again.

I don't know who's going to win the presidential nomination at this point, but I can say that the man who should definitely win Loser of the Year Award this year (if such an award exists) is Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York. Fred Thompson comes close, but at least Fred Thompson announced and was able to run on a platform which was not particularly original but was sincere. Michael Bloomberg, on the other hand, has not appeared to be able to say anything other than that partisanship is bad and we need more centrist (translation: pro-choice) candidates to balance out the national divide. Why this New York mayor of no particular notoriety (apart from being slightly better than men like Dinkins) should think that he is at all representative or relevant to the national center is still lost on me. There is nothing about him that it particularly moderate. I would not be surprised to see him running as for the governorship as a Democrat in two years (after all, he's been a Democrat for a longer period of time than he was a Republican), but he will probably run as a Republican, because, if nothing else, it will make it easier for him to win the election against the Democratic incumbent Eliot Spitzer. But, as with Lincoln Chafee, Mayor Michael Bloomberg is a Republican whom I don't particularly mind in the party but also whom I do not particularly mind seeing depart.

No comments: